Thursday, September 27, 2007

Music and Me

Mood: Reik

Quote: "I'm not superstitious, just a little 'stitious" -Steve Carrell (The Office)

Unfortunately I am like my Dad because:

  • In Psychology we learned that your personality is almost exclusively genetic
  • 10 percent of how you behave is how you were raised
  • My Dad and I laughed at the exact same parts in the office season premier

Blog: I wrote a paper for English and I thought it was pretty good. So I think it is post worthy. Hope you enjoy it.

Music is magic, or so I’ve been told. A note played, a chord struck, something comes out, something more bold than sound. Music is the key to memory and with each song; I relive a part of my life long forgotten. The “playlist of my life” it is sometimes called.
The song begins, I will never find another lover sweeter than you… all of a sudden I am seven again. The sun licking my face, the sounds of seagulls, smell of water. The blue convertible whizzes down the boardwalk, I feel joy, the greatest amount of joy a seven year old who has never felt sorrow can feel. How could I ever leave a place like this, a place so wonderful, so calm? I never saw the faults, there is only me and the sunshine along the shores. And I thank God that I, that I finally found you…
Guitars, a man, I was just out of the service, thumbin’ through the classifieds… The car is dark, there are no beaches, only the neon glow of the car stereo. I’ve long since moved away from beaches, I don’t even remember most of the people there. I live near my grandparents, my family found a house a few blocks away. I’m going to start middle school soon. I feel old, the shadows of trees fly by… For every dream that’s shattered, another one comes true…
Grew up in a small town, and when the rain would fall down, I’d just stare out my window… I can now tell my friends in California what Utah is. I know it snows, I hate snow. I don’t have many friends in my new junior high. I sit in my grayed room, alone. I turn on the radio, a song crackles on. I feel the singer is my friend. Like she understands how my life is. Of course, it is snow, not rain falling down. I understand what music does to me. It makes me feel. I haven’t felt in a while. Out of the darkness and into the sun, I won’t forget all the ones that I love…
“One last song for all of you awesome guys!” I like being called awesome. The organ begins, then the guitars. The sun is gone, the nights are long… My friends from California are with me, I embrace the rhythm as the herd of young men jump up and down in unison. It is the perfect night. I’ll never see my friends again. Swing, swing from the tangles of my heart…
I tried to be perfect, but nothing was worth it… Now I have friends. I like my friends, and sometimes they like me. Right now some of them are upset. I don’t understand yet. They don’t like some of the things I have said. People aren’t always whom they seem to be. I don’t know who I am, I’ve become a good actor. The door closes silently and my skin prickles in the cold. My feet hit the sidewalk, pounding breaks the silence, they move faster. I won’t stop until I understand. I’m better off on my own.
Have to react to get thrown into fractions… I’m experimenting on places to think. I know that I am Harrison. Harrison is a weird kid who is good at writing (at least that is what he is told), Harrison has no personal bubble and, most importantly, Harrison is himself. Right now, as I lay on my trampoline, I don’t know if I am Harrison. My world is crumbling. I don’t feel like I get along with anyone anymore. One of my friends has moved to Boston. I’m glad he isn’t around to see me. I’ve been thinking a lot lately. Something just isn’t quite right. With hands held high into the sky so blue as the ocean opens up to swallow you…
The final chords fade asway. I am back, sitting at my computer typing. The pitch of the night impedes my view outside. The keys clack under my lead fingers, while my computer hums in quiet content. My life looks short but feels long. My eyes begin to droop and my memories wash away.

The songs are as follows:

  • All My Life-K-Ci & Jojo
  • Ridng with Private Malone-David Ball
  • Breakaway-Kelly Clarkson
  • Swing Swing-All American Rejects
  • Pieces-Sum 41
  • Hands Held High-Linkin Park

3 comments:

Albin0 said...

The office premier was awesome.

Kirk said...

That was good writing, but it would've been easier to see on an actual document, because it would be easier to see the lines from the songs. And yes, The Office premiere was hilarious.

Isabelle Wright said...

Wow, Harrison. Man, you can write. I'm glad I have influenced this. Remember when I always used to critique your papers so hard they were crap when I was done with them?

This is the best writing I've ever seen you do. It's...wow, Harrison. Its good. And, you know, coming from me...that's really, really good.

I wish those were all your own words, but still...that's lovely, really lovely.

I love that basically we are internet friends because the classes we have together don't really allow talking...lol.