Tuesday, June 26, 2007

¡Bolivia!

Mood: Currently there is Andean music in the background of my internet cafe.

Life in a 3rd world country:

  • Good if you´re from a developed country and visiting
  • Things are dirt cheap, quite literally, some dirt is more expensive than the things I can buy.
  • Bad if you are a lifelong resident and an indian
  • You can wear funky clothing, and noone notices
  • You can do crazy things, like scream out of cars
  • You don´t have to obey traffic laws.
  • Gatorade is more expensive

Blog: ¡Hola! Estoy en Bolivia, un pais en America del Sur cerca de Peru. Estoy en La Paz un de dos capitales en Bolivia (el otro es Sucre). Mi español es mas peor que Samuel (mi amigo en Bolivia). That was me trying to practice spanish, because I can´t understand a word most people are saying. Everything is dirt cheap, here are a list of prices in USD (American Dollars):

  • One hour at internet cafe-20 cents
  • Soda in a glass bottle-60 cents
  • Slice of chocolate cake-20 cents
  • Taxi ride across town-1.25 dollars
  • 2 liter drink from local company-50 cents
  • Dinner for six-20 dollars

Thats just a vague idea of some of the prices I have down here. All my plane flights were delayed an hour or two, so I arrived in Bolivia at around 6:45 a.m. local time. It was quite an experience, and I actually slept pretty well. Sam isn´t such a bad roomate/rowmate, I´m bummed I´m going to have to fly back by myself (the whole plane ride, including layovers) will be somewhere around 18 hours.

I can´t understand a word most people are saying so I just say ¨no thank you¨ (in spanish of course). Their are ladies that we call cholitas, and they look really funny. Traffic is absolutely insane, and so far I´ve only seen three traffic lights (this is for a city of over a million people).

For now, I´ll post again later, my hour is almost up. Here are a few signs on the spanish keyboard as opposed to the english one:

ç

ñ

¿

¡

Most of the letters are in the same places except that ç thing and the ñ, which are near the enter sign. Those screw me up.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Yes, international keyboards can be quite confusing at first.