Wednesday, June 27, 2007

¿How do you spell push?

Mood: Andean music is once again playing in the background at my internet cafe.

Truth about Bolivia

  • There are nazis, somewhere...(According to graffiti)
  • People go on riots quite frequently
  • Things are much cheaper
  • You can find Llama fetuses
  • ¨Push¨is spelt ¨pusch¨

Blog: I learened a few hard rules about spanish today. Whenever you state something obvious people don´t find it cute, especially people your same age. I saw some teenage kids playing DOTA (a game that I enjoy playing on Warcraft III: Frozen Throne), excited to see something familiar in a foreign country oth¡er than Burger King and Coke I walked up to the kid and exclaimed in horrible spanish, ¨¿Juegas Dota? ¡En Los Estados Unidos Juego Dota tambien!¨ Of course all my fellow teenager heard was, ¨Bla bla bad spanish DOTA bla bad spanish bla¨ He gave me a sort of dirty look that translates perfectly into english, and I left, finding that Samuel had left me alone in the internet cafe.

The other lesson I learned is that not everything translates very well. I found all sorts of funny translations that had probably been translated through Google Translator. Some of the best were from a restaurant Sam had gone to a few years ago:

  • Pique a lo macho (a really good dish that I ate, is typically thought of as a manly dish)-Itch to the man thing (Picar in spanish is to itch, bad translation)
  • Carne de Llama (Meat of Llama I have yet to find)-Meat of he/she calls (llamar means to call in spanish, and llama is the he/she/formal you form)
  • Maté (a type of tea)-Kill (matar in spanish is to kill, and maté is the command form)

Bolivia has been a really great experience, and our death ride (a bike ride down the most dangerous road in the world) has been moved to next week because of some technicalities. The food (and especially the bread) is delicious, even better than the bread I had in France, so the French can shove it. I´m getting a little sick of the constant folk music playing everywhere I go (pan pipes and charrangos are cool and all), I miss my music.

I also slept 12 hours last night, which was awesome, and Sam had a dream that he was in Harry Potter. The kicker was that he told me he was tortured in some dungeon, and told me not to tell, of course I did. For some reason a girl we know from school walked up to him and asked him if he had been tortured in a dungeon (which sam had) at which point sam mumbled to himself, ¨I knew I shouldn´t have told I should have told Ron and Hermione¨.¨

¿The moral of the story? Sam wishes he had Harry Potter´s friends instead of me.

Sam said I talked in my sleep, one quote he was able to decipher was this: If life is like a box of chocoaltes, then what doesn´t everything taste good?¨and ¨¿Why can´t girls be...¨after that Sam said I started mumbling.

1 comment:

Shelbey said...

You should ask Anna about her Harry Potter dreams.