Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Night of Silence

Mood: Calm (see playlist below)







Quote: "There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in a storm" -Willa Sibert Cather (Author of My Antonia)







Movie Review:






  • The Perfect Score-A modern day version of Breakfast Club, about six different people who conspire to steal the SAT answers in order to get into college. A really funny movie, and a suprisingly good moral. 4/5 stars.



Songs in order to achieve calm:







  1. Happy Ending-Mika (Life in a Cartoon Motion)



  2. Hands Held High-Linkin Park (Minutes to Midnight)



  3. Marching Bands of Manhattan-Death Cab for Cutie (Plans)



  4. Any Other World-Mika (Life in a Cartoon Motion)



  5. Pieces-Sum 41 (Chuck)



  6. Girl America-Mat Kearney (Nothing Left to Loose)



  7. Hopeless-Train (Drops of Jupiter)



  8. When I Get Where I'm Going-Brad Paisley Feat. Dolly Parton (Time Well Wasted)



  9. I Will Follow You Into the Dark-Death Cab for Cutie (Plans)



  10. Goodnight Goodnight-Maroon 5 (It Wont Be Soon Before Too Long)



  11. You and Me-Lifehouse (Lifehouse)


  12. Soul Meets Body-Death Cab for Cutie (Plans





Blog: People were supposed to come over at 7:30, currently it is 8:37. So now that I'm currently alone, away from friends, I've decided to take the time to post.




Alone. According to dictionary.com, alone has many meanings, here are a few:







  • (adj) Separate, apart, or isolated



  • (adj) Unique, unequaled, unexcelled



  • (adv) Solitarily, Solely



  • (adv) Only, exclusively



Currently, I think I embody all four of these definitions. I am isolated, and apart from all of my friends and other people. I am unique (in a heck of a lot of ways). I am currently writing solitarily, and I am currently solitary (for an unforseen period of time). I am the only person in the room.



What is the magic and mystery behind being alone? Being completely isolated, away from everything? What is it, about just being, being different, and in four different ways, being alone? What is it that drives us to be alone, and fear it at the same time? Is it that we are afraid of ourselves? Afraid of what we might see when we can only focus on ourselves instead of others? We must be afraid, why else would we seek to be constantly away from ourselves?



Being alone doesn't scare me. But realizing how many different ways I can be alone does. I guess reading Eclipse sort of does that to you. I realized that I can barely get girls that I like to talk to me, let alone want to turn into a monster for me! I can't even comprehend it. Its so completely foreign to me, to have someone (that isn't related to me) say, "I love you," and actually mean it! How strange and awesome that would be, a completely foreign experience.


The idea of being alone also meaning unique, is fitting. I'll be the first to say that I'm weird, which, implies some degree of unique-ness. The sad thing of being unique, is there is no one to share your unique little world with. No one who can understand. One day there may not be a need for explaining everything you see. Its incredible how a million people could look at the same rock and 99.9% of those people would see it completely different. Everything means something different, even as something simple as a song line or a book. The author or writer may not even have thought that something could mean a certain thing, but people go through and see it completely different. In both cases, the author and the reader or the songwriter and listener, both people are right. They simply see things differently. Some see things more similar to the "average" person than others. Those people are not alone, at least in someways, in fact, they are not alone at all. They are joined by other "clones" who do not seek to be original, who force themselves into a mold. I know, that I am different, that I see things different than everyone. In my mind, in the same world everyone inhabits, I am still alone. Even if everyone were to look at the same thing I was, I would be alone.

I am alone, physically, and mentally. Figuratively, and literally. I am alone, am I afraid of being alone? Sometimes. Do I understand that is impossible not to be alone, no matter how hard I try? Yes. So world, life, bring on the loneliness, wave after wave. Because the more the sea of different things wash over me, the more chance there is to finding someone similar, someone, who is also alone. Someone who rejoices in finding someone in which they no longer have to be alone. Someone to share their world with. Someone who can accompany them in the see of loneliness, where they will never feel lonely, because there is someone always there. Someone watching, and wishing.


No comments: