Monday, August 20, 2007

On the Eve of Education

Mood: Matchbox 20

Quote: "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler (American futurist author)

Things NOT to do during school year:

  1. Fail classes
  2. Procrastinate
  3. Get overwhelmed
  4. Get in long arguments
  5. Make stupid mistakes

Things to do during the school year:

  1. Meet new people
  2. Get 4.0 GPA
  3. Observe and council various people through drama
  4. Be an individual
  5. Enjoy every moment

Blog: Here I sit. The summer has been long, interesting, boring and fun. Unfortunately, the time I was relegated for freedom is almost out. At 7:00 in the morning I will drive up to my wonderful High School and once again enter a very regimented enviroment. Thanks to the newly instated block schedule at my school, tomorrow is going to be complete chaos, as swarms of students fly frantically through the halls going to incorrect classes. I will once again do work, talk to people, and see people who I have not seen since the end of school.

Fortunately for me, this means that I will be able to get to know people who I did not have the opportunity to hang out with. New friends? Quite possibly. A few more friends never hurt anyone. The reason why I am so confident I will have to get to know different people, is because I do not have any classes with anyone I have contacted. This is sort of exciting as I venture into the unknown, the new frontier.

One problem does arise, and school has not even started yet. A friend of mine has been very different lately. He's always wanted something, something more, and I think he sees us as a limiting factor. He won't talk to me much, he won't talk to any of us. He wants something that we can't provide, he wants the women we don't even know. Its not just her, he wants all of them, and we are holding him back. We aren't smooth, or good looking, or "normal" enough for him. And in his view, only people who are just like him, smooth, good-looking and "normal" can do what he wants to, can hang with them.

If thats what it take for them, I think I'd rather not. I would rather stay an individual in the tide of similarity and sameness. A brilliant green or a crimson red in the sea of drab grey. Being the same is too boring, but it does have benefits. The see of grey houses them, and others, many others like them. Dull, similar, those who hide their individuality to fit in, to attract the other grey ones. I would rather be a different color, and attract other individuals, and together, we will form a brilliant rainbow. A brilliant lake of color in the sea of drab grey.

1 comment:

Albin0 said...

Hopefully this school year isn't a boring year. Tomorrow is the "Boo out freshman day" yes!! theres something good that happened this week..